Limited Time Only for School Purchases: 40% off TEKS Companion Guides. Offer ends soon.
Now available! Special TEKS Companion Guide Prices for Parents, Caregivers, and Individual Purchases! Click or tap for details.
Learn more about the NEW TEKS Companion Guide Online project!
We developed the TEKS Companion Guide series for Grades 3-8 Mathematics and Algebra 1. Mini-lessons focus on the mathematics TEKS for that grade level or course and include a set of practice problems designed around a compact instructional plan with three components.
- The Tell Me More section contains a brief summary of the key ideas, concepts, and skills that are addressed in the target TEKS for that mini-lesson.
- Stepped-out Examples show students how to solve a problem that is based on the target TEKS. Example problems address the multiple components (and multiple representations) contained in each TEKS/SE.
- Practice problems consist of a blend of constructed response and multiple choice questions that use the language students may expect to see on the STAAR® for that grade level. When possible, practice problems use griddable response questions so that students obtain practice using the grid that they will see on STAAR®.
How Were the Mini-Lessons Created?
Every TEKS/SE, whether it is tested or not, is addressed in the TEKS Companion Guide for that grade level or course. To create the lesson, our writing team studied the TEKS Supporting Information documents from the Texas Education Agency. We carefully considered this advice as well as how the content-based TEKS/SE might pair with mathematical processes. For example, how might multiple representations (Mathematical Process 1D) be used with the content? Or, how might students apply this to solve real-world problems (Mathematical Process 1A)?
Then, we turned to released STAAR® items. We know that released STAAR® tests represent only a fraction of the assessment items students may see. But they do give us a glimpse into specifically what students are expected to know and be able to do with the mathematics. Our writing team studied these items carefully, looking for trends in how the questions for each TEKS/SE are structured. We looked for:
- What nouns and verbs are being used? What others could be used in a similar manner?
- How is the actual question being asked?
- What representations are students likely to see?
- If the answer is numerical, could it be a griddable response question?
For some lessons, it is appropriate to bundle a few TEKS/SE’s together, as in the case of A.2E, A.2F, and A.2G, all of which address writing equations of parallel or perpendicular lines.
In other cases, one TEKS/SE or a pairing of TEKS/SE’s needs multiple lessons. For example, A.2B and A.2C pair nicely together and address writing linear equations from a graph, table of values, or verbal description. However, that pairing is too long for one mini-lesson, so the development team split the A.2B/A.2C pairing into two mini-lessons: one for writing equations from a verbal description and one for writing equations from a graph or table of values.
STAAR® is a federally registered trademark and service mark of the Texas Education Agency. Cosenza & Associates, LLC is not sponsored by or associated or affiliated with the Texas Education Agency, which has not endorsed the products or services of Cosenza & Associates, LLC.
The TEKS Companion Guide teacher manual contains an answer key as well as advice for how to use different features of the interactive student companion. For Algebra 1, the manual provides explanations connecting the Algebra 1 content to the information in the corresponding section of the Algebraic Reasoning textbook.
Catalog Prices for Schools
The Guide, an interactive paperback consumable student edition, is sold individually with a minimum order of 20 student books. Unit prices are based on the total number of guides purchased and do not include advertised or RFP-based discounts. One teacher manual is included for every 30 books purchased at no additional cost.
- 20-30 student books are $20.99 each (40% discount: $12.60 each)
- 31-60 student books are $17.99 each (40% discount: $10.80 each)
- 61 or more student books are $14.99 each (40% discount: $8.99 each)
View and download samples of the TEKS Companion Guide mini-lessons! To open these in a new browser window or tab, please right-click and select Open Link in New Tab (Mac: Press COMMAND and click).
|3.3H: Comparing Fractions||View Sample|
|4.7ABC: Measuring Angles||View Sample|
|5.3H: Adding and Subtracting Fractions||View Sample|
|6.4E: Ratios and Percents||View Sample|
|7.4D: Solving Problems with Percents||View Sample|
|8.4A: Slope as Unit Rate||View Sample|
|8.8C: Solving One-Variable Equations||View Sample|
|A.3C: Key Features of Linear Functions||View Sample|
|A.10B: Multiplying Polynomials||View Sample|
|Algebra 1 Errata Sheet||View Errata Sheet|
Read about the TEKS Companion Guides on Learning List
The Algebra 1 TEKS Companion Guide has been reviewed by the subject matter experts at Learning List, an organization that provides an independent verification of curriculum products’ alignment to state standards so teachers don’t have to do that work themselves. Read more about the TEKS Companion Guide on the Learning List blog.
Learning List provides independent reviews of K-12 instructional materials and online courses. To see Learning List’s professional reviews and alignment reports for our products, go to Learninglist.com.