Performing Math™ is a set of performance tasks that teachers can use to enhance students’ understanding of mathematical concepts and skills.
Each task focuses on one content TEKS/SE. As well, each task includes additional content TEKS that students may use as they solve the problem. Each tasks includes mathematical process TEKS as they are addressed in the task.
We designed Performing Math™ to improve student performance as they integrate mathematical concepts and skills.
What does “open-middle” mean?
There are several types of mathematical tasks.
- Open-ended tasks are tasks that have a defined beginning (the problem is set) but multiple solutions and multiple solution strategies.
- Open-middle tasks are tasks that have a defined beginning (the problem is set) and a defined solution (the answer or solution is set), but multiple pathways in between to arrive at the solution.
What are some ways I can use Performing Math tasks?
Performing Math™ tasks
- are differentiated for the below-level, on-level, and advanced learner. For example, the task for a particular TEKS/SE focuses on increasing student understanding, and thus standardized test performance, for on-level learners. However, every classroom has students who learn at a variety of paces. Thus, we have differentiated each task for below-level learners as well as advanced or above-level learners.
- are ideal for implementing problem-solving models in classroom instruction. Use Performing Math tasks for explicit instruction on using problem-solving models to work through a situation where the pathway to the solution or answer is not immediately obvious.
- help students focus on one learning outcome or TEKS/SE, but require students to recall and apply additional concepts and skills. In doing so, students gain a more holistic view of mathematics as problem-solving instead of mathematics as answer-getting.
TEKS Alignment Documents
TEKS alignment document for Grade 3
TEKS alignment document for Grade 5
TEKS alignment document for Grade 8
TEKS alignment document for Algebra 1
How is Performing Math priced?
We have priced these tasks as a campus or district site license based on the student enrollment for that particular grade level or course.
Number of Students
Price Per Student
1 – 500
501 – 1000
1001 – 2000
|Greater than 2000||
How can I learn more about Performing Math?
View our samples page to view and download sample tasks from certain grade levels.
Contact us directly so we can discuss solutions.