Cosenza & Associates, LLC, is very proud of our newest line of instructional resources, Performing Math!
What is Performing Math?
- Performing Math™ is a set of performance tasks that teachers can use to enhance students’ understanding of mathematical concepts and skills.
- Each task focuses on one content TEKS/SE. As well, each task includes additional content TEKS that students may use as they solve the problem. Each tasks includes mathematical process TEKS as they are addressed in the task.
- We designed Performing Math™ to improve student performance as they integrate mathematical concepts and skills.
What does “open-middle” mean?
There are several types of mathematical tasks.
- Open-ended tasks are tasks that have a defined beginning (the problem is set) but multiple solutions and multiple solution strategies.
- Open-middle tasks are tasks that have a defined beginning (the problem is set) and a defined solution (the answer or solution is set), but multiple pathways in between to arrive at the solution.
What are some ways I can use Performing Math tasks?
Performing Math™ tasks
- are differentiated for the below-level, on-level, and advanced learner. For example, the task for a particular TEKS/SE focuses on increasing student understanding, and thus standardized test performance, for on-level learners. However, every classroom has students who learn at a variety of paces. Thus, we have differentiated each task for below-level learners as well as advanced or above-level learners.
- are ideal for implementing problem-solving models in classroom instruction. Use Performing Math tasks for explicit instruction on using problem-solving models to work through a situation where the pathway to the solution or answer is not immediately obvious.
- help students focus on one learning outcome or TEKS/SE, but require students to recall and apply additional concepts and skills. In doing so, students gain a more holistic view of mathematics as problem-solving instead of mathematics as answer-getting.
When will Performing Math be available?
Available for use now: Grades 5, 8, and Algebra 1!
- TEKS alignment document for Grade 5
- TEKS alignment document for Grade 8
- TEKS alignment document for Algebra 1
Grades 3, 4, 6, and 7 will be available by summer 2017.
How is Performing Math priced?
We have priced these tasks as a campus or district site license based on the student enrollment for that particular grade level or course.
Number of Students
Price Per Student
1 – 500
501 – 1000
1001 – 2000
|Greater than 2000||
How can I learn more about Performing Math?
View our samples page to view and download sample tasks from certain grade levels.
Contact us directly so we can discuss solutions.